How Our Lawyers May Help You Recover Damages
You did not choose to be injured by a careless truck driver, but you can choose how to respond. Missouri has complex statutes for liability and negligence. There is also a statute of limitations, or deadline, for filing a personal injury lawsuit.
The last thing you need is to worry about confusing statutes or talking to an insurance adjuster from the other party. A lawyer with Schultz & Myers, LLC may protect your rights to recover damages.
Our jackknife truck accident lawyers may help by:
- Investigating the cause of the accident.
- Identifying liable parties.
- Obtaining evidence and proof of liability.
- Filing a claim with the driver’s insurance carrier.
- Negotiating for a fair settlement.
- Taking your case to court if the other side will not negotiate in good faith.
There are many details in a jackknife truck accident. We may diligently pursue recovery on your behalf while you are recuperating from your injuries. For a free case evaluation, call 314-444-4444.
Establishing the Facts About the Accident and Your Injuries
It is important that we understand what caused the accident. It is even more vital that we understand how your injuries affect your life now and in the future. We may talk to your doctor (with your permission) about the extent of your injuries so that we may accurately assign a monetary value to your damages.
Some of the questions we may ask include:
- How long will it take to recover from your injuries?
- How does your injury impact your ability to earn a living and/or return to your prior job?
- Will you be disabled, disfigured, or have a life-long medical condition as a result?
Our legal team may also secure the evidence to show liability as we build a compelling case.
This evidence may include:
- Police reports and witness statements with follow-up interviews, if necessary.
- Driver’s safety, training, and driving history.
- Information from digital onboard systems.
- Truck’s inspection and maintenance records.
- Photos or videos of the accident site and of your damaged vehicle.
- Consult with subject matter experts, including medical, vocational, or accident specialists.
You should not suffer twice from the negligence of another person.
Causes of Jackknife Accidents
There were 116,000 accidents with injuries involving large trucks in 2017, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Some contributing factors that lead to a jackknife accident may include:
- The driver is driving over the speed limit.
- The driver is driving too fast around a curve, or on wet or slippery road surfaces.
- The driver does not properly execute a sharp turn or curve.
- The truck’s brakes are worn out or improperly maintained.
- The driver is distracted, drowsy, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Regardless of the reason, jackknife accidents may prove entirely avoidable if a driver operates within the expected duty of care.
We Identify Liable Parties
A lawyer with Schultz & Myers, LLC may look for all parties who played a role in causing or contributing to the accident.
These parties may include:
- The truck company
- The truck or trailer manufacturer
- Safety inspectors
- Municipalities who failed to maintain safe road conditions
Our jackknife truck accident lawyers may take care of the many details to potentially get you the compensation and justice you deserve. For a free case evaluation, call 314-444-4444.
Losses Your Compensation May Cover
A jackknife accident lawyer with our firm may help you pursue damages. We may evaluate your injuries and your damages to get you the compensation you deserve, which may include:
- Emergency medical services
- Medical tests and scans
- Prescriptions and adaptive devices
- Physical rehabilitation and therapy
- Property damage
- Lost income
- Reduced earning ability because of injuries
- Disability (temporary or permanent)
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
A lawyer with Schultz & Myers, LLC may be able to negotiate an acceptable settlement with the defendant’s insurance company as well. We will not hesitate to take our clients’ cases to trial if it proves necessary.
Distracted Driving Causes Accidents
Jackknife truck accidents and other types of collisions sometimes result from negligence, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Texting while driving takes the driver’s attention from the road. There are other kinds of distractions, including:
- Talking on a cell phone (even hands-free)
- Adjusting the radio, climate control, or navigation systems
- Eating or drinking
- Exterior noise or distraction
If the driver who caused your accident was distracted in any way, they may bear liability for your losses sustained in the accident.
Consider a Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer
Jackknife truck accidents can be life-changing events that affect your entire family. If you or a loved one experienced injuries in this type of accident, you can a St. Louis trucking accident lawyer Schultz & Myers, LLC for a free case evaluation.
We may fight for your compensation and justice. Call us at 314-444-4444.