Stephen Schultz | July 18, 2022 | Car Accidents
Car accidents range from minor “fender benders” to catastrophic truck accidents. In some cases, no one is injured, but there could be some property damage. Knowing when to hire a lawyer after a minor car accident can be confusing.
The best way to know whether you need an accident attorney is to take advantage of a free consultation with a St. Louis car accident lawyer. A lawyer evaluates your case, explains your legal rights, and provides an honest assessment of your damages. After your consultation, you can decide whether you need to hire a lawyer for a car accident.
Your Minor Car Accident Could Be More Costly Than You Think
What appears to be a minor car accident could result in thousands of dollars in damages. You might feel “okay” or “fine” after a car crash.
However, in a few days, those minor aches and pains could result in chronic pain. A visit to the doctor confirms you sustained injuries in the collision. Now, your minor car accident is a significant event.
The damages from a car accident can include economic damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Personal care
- Loss of income
- In-home or long-term nursing care
- Property damage
- Diminished earning capacity
Your damages also include the pain and suffering you experience because of a car wreck. You could also be entitled to compensation for your:
- Emotional distress
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Physical pain
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Disabilities and permanent impairments
- Decrease in quality of life
If the other driver caused the car crash, you could be entitled to substantial compensation for your damages. However, delays in medical care could hurt your case with allegations of failure to mitigate damages and denied liability.
Therefore, it is always best to seek prompt medical treatment after a car accident, regardless of how minor the collision may appear. A checkup and examination protect your health and help with a personal injury claim.
When Should I Talk to a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer After a Minor Car Crash?
We believe it is always beneficial to seek legal counsel after a car accident. That said, some situations dictate that an accident victim should talk with an accident attorney as soon as possible. Those include:
- The other driver does not have the required car insurance coverage required for Missouri drivers
- The insurance adjuster suggests that you could be partially to blame for the accident, which could reduce how much money you receive under Missouri’s comparative negligence laws
- You sustain catastrophic injuries, including spinal cord injuries, a traumatic brain injury, broken bones, internal organ damage, etc.
- Your child is injured in a car accident
- The accident involves multiple parties, a commercial truck, or a governmental entity
- Your accident involves a rideshare driver or vehicle
- The insurance company denies your claim or refuses to acknowledge your claim
- There could be a chance your injuries result in permanent impairments, scarring, or disfigurement
- Someone dies in the accident resulting in a wrongful death
Insurance adjusters might advise you that you do not need to talk with a lawyer. However, they protect the insurance company. Their job is to pay as little as possible for your claim, so they are not a reliable source of legal advice.
Benefits of Hiring a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer
The consequences of a car accident can include monetary losses and physical injuries. You may also experience emotional distress after the car crash. Having an attorney to handle the accident claim has many advantages, including:
- The lawyer investigates the car accident to gather evidence proving fault and liability (Missouri is an at-fault state, so you must have evidence proving fault to recover compensation)
- An attorney verifies insurance coverage, files insurance claims, and handles all communication with the insurance company
- Your lawyer assists you in documenting your damages and calculates the correct value of your personal injury claim
- A personal injury law firm has the resources to hire medical experts, financial experts, accident reconstructionists, and other expert witnesses as needed
- Your attorney aggressively negotiates for the maximum value for a settlement
- If the insurance company refuses to negotiate a fair settlement amount or denies liability, your attorney can file a lawsuit and argue the case in court
Not all car accident cases require the assistance of a personal injury lawyer. However, it is best to have legal counsel early in your case when you do need an attorney’s help.
Therefore, it is best to seek legal advice soon after a car crash. Then, you can put your mind to rest if you do not need a lawyer. And if you do end up needing one, you’ll be one step ahead.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, please contact Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers at the nearest location to schedule a free consultation today:
Ladue, MO Law Office
9807 S 40 Dr, St. Louis, MO 63124
Creve Coeur, MO Law Office
999 Executive Pkwy Dr #205, Creve Coeur, MO 63141