Have you or a loved one sustained a life-altering injury in St. Louis, MO? It’s important to consult an experienced St. Louis catastrophic injury lawyer to learn more about your legal right to compensation. Our team at Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your family’s pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have decades of combined experience handling sensitive personal injury cases. Our aggressive and detail-oriented approach has helped us recover over $50 million for injured clients over the years.
We know your family has experienced unimaginable trauma. We’re here to help in any way we can. Just call our law offices in St. Louis, Missouri to schedule a free consultation today at (314) 444-4444.
How Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Catastrophic Injury Claim in St. Louis
Catastrophic injury cases are more complex than typical personal injury cases. While the victim may never recover fully, reaching maximum medical improvement can take a significant amount of time. Only then can a doctor fairly assess the types of care the victim may need in the future.
In the meantime, the insurance company will conduct an investigation into your accident. They’ll do everything they can to shift blame to you or minimize the damages you’ve suffered. You deserve an experienced St. Louis personal injury attorney in your corner.
At Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve been recognized as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, and Best Lawyers in St. Louis.
When you hire our AV-rated lawyers to handle your case, you can trust us to:
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances of your injury
- Hire leading experts and specialists to support your case
- Work closely with your doctor and medical professionals
- Listen to your story so we can understand how your life has changed
- Defend you if you’re blamed for getting hurt
- Calculate the value of your personal injury claim
- Negotiate fiercely on your behalf to maximize your settlement award
When your life has changed forever, you deserve to know that you have an experienced advocate in your corner. Call today to learn more about how a personal injury attorney in St. Louis can make a difference for your family.
Overview of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are the types of injuries that fundamentally change your life. Many catastrophic injuries are permanent.
In reality, there is no exact definition of the term “catastrophic injury.” These are the types of injuries that can permanently prevent the victim from working and earning a living. They can also result in the need for long-term or around-the-clock care. In short, a catastrophic injury is one that can have a catastrophic impact on your life.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
At Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers, we have the skills and experience to handle even the most complex catastrophic injury claims.
Examples of the types of injuries that are often classified as “catastrophic” include:
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Traumatic brain injuries that cause severe cognitive impairment or physical disabilities
- Spinal cord damage that results in paraplegia, tetraplegia, or quadriplegia
- Failure of a major internal organ
- Severe burns
- Significant nerve damage
- Permanent and severe disfigurement or scarring
Are you or a family member struggling with the types of injury that can cause permanent or long-term cognitive or physical disabilities? It’s never too early to learn about your legal options. To get started, contact our St. Louis catastrophic injury attorneys for a free case review today.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries?
The long-term consequences of a catastrophic injury should never be underestimated. Your entire life can change in an instant. It’s important to consider how the injury will impact your future before agreeing to take an insurance settlement.
Some of the most significant long-term consequences of catastrophic injuries include:
- Permanent disability and loss of your ability to work
- Severe cognitive and physical impairments
- Inability to perform basic activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, or eating
- A need for around-the-clock care in a long-term care facility
- Inability to enjoy the hobbies and activities you enjoyed prior to the injury
- Significant financial hardship while you struggle to pay for medical care and expenses
- Damage to personal relationships
- Loss of fertility
- Chronic pain and pain medication dependency
- Development of secondary medical conditions, including blood clots and respiratory illness
- Wrongful death
Victims of life-changing injuries often suffer from severe depression. As a family member, your emotional well-being may also suffer as you struggle to provide needed care and support.
These types of losses can be extremely difficult to translate into a dollar value. Our lawyers have decades of experience handling these types of cases. We know how important it is to recover every dollar you deserve when you’re facing an uncertain future.
What Causes Most Catastrophic Injuries?
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of catastrophic injuries. Traffic accidents are the number one cause of traumatic amputations in the U.S. They also cause about half of all new spinal cord injuries each year.
Our lawyers in St. Louis are here to help regardless of how you were injured.
Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injury include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Sports accidents
- Bus or train accidents
- Accidents involving recreational vehicles
- Heavy machinery accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Boating accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- Criminal assault and sexual assault
If you were injured because of someone else’s careless, reckless, or wrongful act, you may have a valid personal injury case. Call Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free initial consultation to learn more about your legal rights.
What is My St. Louis Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
Because catastrophic injuries impact your life in so many ways, putting a dollar value on your case can be particularly challenging. In the end, many different factors will influence the value of your catastrophic injury claim.
Our lawyers will carefully evaluate the circumstances of your injury and assess factors such as:
- The cost of your current and past medical treatment
- The projected cost of your future medical care, rehabilitation, and out-of-pocket expenses
- Your lost earnings and lost future earning potential
- Your age, life expectancy, and earning capacity prior to the injury
- How the injury will change your lifestyle and impact your quality of life
- Your emotional and physical suffering
- Your family’s emotional suffering and financial losses, including caregiving expenses
- The circumstances of the accident and injury
Maximizing your settlement or verdict is our number one priority. You can rest assured that we’ll put in the work necessary to build the strongest personal injury case possible for your family.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Catastrophic Injuries in St. Louis, Missouri?
Missouri personal injury laws give you the right to seek compensation for all of the losses you sustain following an accident. You can seek compensation for all of your economic damages, which are your financial losses. You can also pursue compensation for your more personal, intangible losses that don’t have a clear monetary value.
Your economic damages award might include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Long-term care in a nursing facility
- In-home assistance
- Medical devices and medications
- Childcare expenses
- Modifications to your home and vehicle
- Property damage
Your non-economic damages provide compensation for losses such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of your independence
- Loss of consortium and damage to relationships
The insurance company may try to use a calculator or multiplier to determine the value of your non-economic losses. It’s important to have an experienced lawyer by your side to make sure your award fairly compensates for your specific losses.
At Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll enlist the help of experts and specialists who can help establish the true value of your intangible losses. We believe in giving every case the full attention it deserves, and you can count on us to fight for every available dollar. Just call our law firm in St. Louis and schedule a free consultation to learn more about legal representation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Missouri?
Every state limits the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit after an accident. Under Missouri law, most victims have a five-year statute of limitations to take legal action. Depending on how you were injured, you could have less time to act. To discuss the deadline in your case, give us a quick call today.
Contact a St. Louis Catastrophic Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Catastrophic injuries change your life forever. They also create extreme financial stress. An experienced St. Louis catastrophic injury lawyer at Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to hold the at-fault party accountable. Just call to schedule a free initial consultation today.