Were you or a loved one recently hurt in a pedestrian accident in St. Louis, Missouri? If so, you may be entitled to a substantial monetary award to cover the cost of your medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The experienced St. Louis pedestrian accident lawyers at Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to maximize your financial recovery call (314) 444-4444.
We are award-winning litigators with a reputation for going above and beyond for injury victims and families in St. Louis. Putting decades of experience behind each case, we’re able to help our clients recover millions in financial settlements and jury awards. To date, we have secured over $50 Million in life-changing compensation for our clients in cases involving St. Louis motorcycle accidents, Uber accidents, bicycle accidents in St. Louis, wrongful death claims, bus accidents, and more.
Give yourself the edge you need to win your keys and maximize your recovery. Contact our St. Louis, MO, law office to schedule a time to speak with a member of our respected legal team. We offer a free consultation and are always available to take your call.
How Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After Your Pedestrian Accident in St. Louis, MO
Getting hit by a car can carry considerable consequences. Physical injuries can be severe and financial repercussions can last a lifetime. So, too, can the emotional trauma that accompanies a pedestrian accident.
When you’re injured as a pedestrian, those at fault must be held fully accountable. Our St. Louis personal injury attorneys are here to make that happen for you.
While you have the opportunity to focus your energy on getting better, our top-rated litigators will handle every aspect of your claim for damages:
- Coordinate a thorough investigation into the accident to determine why it happened and who is to blame
- Consult with respected experts and specialists throughout the process
- Gather critical pieces of evidence that will serve as the foundation of your claim for damages
- Defend you against allegations that you share responsibility for your pedestrian accident
- Handle negotiations with insurance companies and at-fault parties
- Reject lowball offers and bring your case to a jury if negotiation talks aren’t successful
We know times are tough right now. That’s why we work on a contingency fee basis. You only pay for our legal representation if we win your case. There’s no risk in getting our help, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us to arrange a time for a free consultation today.
St. Louis Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Statistical Analysis Center, there were at least 326 pedestrian accidents reported in St. Louis in 2020.
- 20 fatal pedestrian accidents, and
- 273 pedestrian accidents resulting in non-fatal injuries.
That’s nearly one pedestrian accident every single day in St. Louis.
Reports indicate that pedestrian deaths have nearly doubled in recent years. A new report by St. Louis non-profit organization Trailnet shows that pedestrian fatalities increased in 2021. It’s believed that at least 42 pedestrians were killed In St. Louis and St. Louis County that year.
What’s My Personal Injury Case Worth If I’m Hit as a Pedestrian in St. Louis?
As a pedestrian, you are susceptible to severe, catastrophic, and fatal injuries if you are involved in an accident with a motor vehicle. Getting hit by a car can cause considerable physical, financial, and emotional harm. Often, cases involving pedestrian injuries can be worth a lot of money.
However, every situation is unique. Some cases may be worth millions, and others may be worth a few thousand. It typically depends on the extent of the victim’s injuries and the long-term consequences they will experience.
Some important considerations in the valuation process include:
- Whether or not you’re expected to make a full physical recovery
- If you can continue to work or will experience a reduced earning capacity
- How The trauma of being struck by a vehicle affects you psychologically
- Whether you share responsibility for your pedestrian accident
- Whether you took the necessary steps to mitigate your injuries
- Your age at the time of the accident
- If the accident aggravated any pre-existing medical conditions
The more your pedestrian accident changes your life, the more your case tends to be worth. The only way to know how much money you may be able to get after your pedestrian accident in St. Louis is by speaking with an experienced attorney.
Call Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers to arrange a time for a free case evaluation. Our team will be happy to listen to your story, assess available facts and evidence, and provide preliminary guidance regarding your rights and what your case might be worth.
What Damages Are Available to Injured Pedestrians in St. Louis?
Injured pedestrians in Missouri can pursue compensation for both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are awarded to offset the financial and economic impacts of an accident.
This typically includes money for things like:
- Hospitalization, medical attention, surgery, medical transport, and other present medical bills
- Follow-up medical care and future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Lost income and wages
- Nursing assistance
- Property damage
- Modifications to your home or vehicle
- Medical equipment or devices
- Other out-of-pocket costs
On the other hand, non-economic damages are intended to compensate victims for the trauma that doesn’t have a set financial value.
Often referred to as pain and suffering damages, this can include money for things like:
- Chronic physical pain
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
If there is clear and convincing evidence that the defendant acted intentionally or with a conscious disregard for your safety, then punitive damages might also be available. However, punitive awards are strictly limited to the most serious situations, like those involving extremely drunk drivers.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Blamed For My Missouri Pedestrian Accident?
Yes, but your financial award will be reduced based on your own negligence. Missouri is one of many states to operate under a pure comparative fault system. Sharing blame will not prevent you from getting a financial recovery, but it will affect how much money you can get.
Let’s say you were looking at your phone when you started to cross an intersection in St. Louis. You didn’t notice that the crosswalk signal had changed and that a car was barreling towards you. You were assigned half of the blame for your pedestrian traffic accident. If your case is valued at $1 Million, you will only be able to recover $500,000 in damages. That’s because your 50% liability is taken into account.
Insurance companies and at-fault parties will attempt to use Missouri’s Comparative fault law to their advantage. They will point fingers and try to blame you. Our St. Louis pedestrian accident attorneys will be ready for these efforts and prepared to defend you every step of the way.
Why Do Most Pedestrian Accidents Happen?
While pedestrian accidents can happen for just about any reason, there are some reasons they happen more often than not.
Some of the most common causes of St. Louis pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Distracted walking
- Drugs and alcohol
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to obey state and local traffic laws
- Failure to obey posted traffic signals
- Unsafe turns
- A lack of dedicated pedestrian infrastructure, such as sidewalks and marked crosswalks
- Road rage
- Attempting to beat a red or yellow light at an intersection
- Road construction
- Limited visibility
Sometimes a car defect or malfunction can also contribute to a car accident with a pedestrian. It is important to get to the bottom of what happened and identify every possible cause. This is the only way to ensure that all responsible parties can be held accountable.
We’ll Help You Seek Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
At Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers, we represent all pedestrian accident victims in St. Louis, Missouri.
Don’t hesitate to contact it for help if you’ve been in a pedestrian accident and sustained:
- Broken bones
- Crushing injury
- Chest injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck injury
- Back injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Burn injury
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Degloving injury
- Internal organ damage
- Wrongful death of a loved one
The first thing you should do after your pedestrian accident is to seek medical attention. Getting to the hospital can help to ensure that all of your pedestrian accident injuries are treated. Your medical record will also be updated to reflect your injuries, which can be crucial and help you establish a causal link between the crash and your trauma.
What’s the Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accident Cases in Missouri?
Injured pedestrians have up to five years from the date of their accident to file a personal injury lawsuit in St. Louis, Missouri. If you’ve lost a family member in a fatal pedestrian accident, then you’ll have just three years to initiate a wrongful death action.
Don’t miss the deadline that applies to your specific situation. You will lose the opportunity to demand accountability and recover compensation if the deadline comes and goes before you take action.
Arrange a Free Consultation With Our Experienced St. Louis Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Have you recently been involved in a pedestrian accident in St. Louis, Missouri? Contact Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers for immediate legal assistance. Our award-winning St. Louis pedestrian accident lawyers are ready to help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Put decades of experience and our winning reputation in your corner. Call our law firm serving St. Louis to arrange a time for your free consultation now.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Louis also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Brain Injury Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Bus Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Child Injury Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Construction Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Premises Liability Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Slip and Fall Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Truck Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Worker’s Compensation Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office in St. Louis, MO
Open 24 hours