Causes of Bus Accidents
City and school bus accidents are caused by many of the same factors at play in other types of traffic accidents.
- Driver Error: The operator of a bus yields great responsibility, so he or she owes a duty of care to all passengers on board to not drive in a careless or negligent manner. Forms of negligence may include speeding, intoxication, or inexperience.
- Driver Distraction: This is involved in many bus accidents, in the form of texting, making a phone call, eating, or using the radio. The Illinois Rules of the Road prohibit cell phone use while driving, but operators don’t always adhere to the law.
- Urban Location: Driving in urban areas may be the cause of a bus accident because of the heavy traffic and limited area for maneuvering the vehicle.
- Weather and Road Conditions: The size of a bus or other mass transportation vehicle is a factor in accidents because it can be difficult to navigate sharp turns, graded hills, construction zones, and other conditions. The weather may also cause bus accidents where sleet, snow, or rain reduce visibility.
- Vehicle Defects: There are numerous systems involving with operating a bus or other mass transportation vehicles, including trains. The presence of a defect in any of these systems can cause a failure that leads to a crash.
Recovering Your Losses After a Bus Accident
Bus accidents can cause severe injuries, especially considering the lack of safety harnesses for passengers. As a victim, a mass transportation injury attorney can help you recover for such losses as:
- Medical bills;
- Lost wages for the time you’re out of work;
- Pain and suffering; and,
- Other damages you sustain as a result of your injuries.
Contact an Illinois Bus Accident Lawyer to Discuss Your Case
The attorneys at Schultz & Myers Personal Injury Lawyers have amassed comprehensive experience over many decades of fighting on behalf of bus accident victims like you. Because these types of cases are time-sensitive, it’s important to retain knowledgeable legal counsel as soon as possible. Our skilled Illinois bus accident lawyers are available to discuss your options at a free, no-obligation case assessment.