Types of Daycare Injuries
Daycare centers are legally obligated to provide a safe place for your child, according to the licensing rules for group child care homes and child care centers. You have every right to expect that their staff and caregivers are competent and caring professionals. Some daycare centers and staff provide a safe and engaging place for your child, while others may endanger the health and lives of the youngsters in their care.
Some injuries that can occur at daycares include:
- Falls or falling objects
- Playground injuries
- Burns or scalding
- Food poisoning
- Improperly cleaned surfaces and a lack of healthy hygiene
- Neglect of basic needs
- Leaving children unattended in a daycare vehicle
- Other vehicle injuries, including backing over a child
We may also be able to help if your child was injured while being cared for at a fitness center or hotel.
Our Suggestions for Daycare Injuries
We recommend that you take your child to your doctor, an urgent care center, or the emergency room if he or she has not already been examined by a healthcare professional.
Some injuries, such as internal bleeding after a fall, may not appear immediately. You should have the peace of mind that comes from your child being treated by a medical professional. It may also help your case if your child begins the proper course of treatment, depending on their injury or illness.
Once you have ensured your child is safe and being cared for, our lawyers suggest that you:
- Keep all medical test results, records, and doctor bills
- Ask if there were witnesses to your child’s accident or injury, and if so, get their contact information
- Take pictures with your cell phone of what caused or contributed to your child’s injury (for example, a loose step or a broken piece of playground equipment)
- Avoid posting pictures or inflammatory comments about the daycare provider on social media
- Avoid speaking to the insurance adjuster or lawyer until you can talk about your case with one of our team members
A daycare injury lawyer in St. Louis with Schultz & Myers, LLC may protect your rights and help you recover financial awards for your losses. For a free consultation, call 314-444-4444.
How a Daycare Injury Lawyer May Help You and Your Family
Missouri has a complicated system of liability and negligence laws. It can be intimidating for most people to tackle a personal injury case on their own. If we determine that you have a case, we may help you recover awards from all liable parties.
Our lawyers may:
- Protect your rights
- Protect your child’s rights
- Obtain evidence, testimony, and documentation of liability or wrongdoing
- Assess your losses, including noneconomic losses
- Identify and communicate with liable parties on your behalf
We work on a contingency basis, so we are paid only if we are successful in recovering compensation.
Daycare Facilities Have a Legal Obligation to Your Child
Daycare and childcare facilities typically have licenses to ensure compliance with basic requirements. They have a duty of care to provide a safe, clean environment, free from abuse and neglect.
We recommend that you select a daycare facility that is licensed by state and local governments. You should know that some childcare providers are exempt from daycare licensing laws, such as:
- Grandparents, aunts, uncles, or other relatives of the children in their care
- Centers that operate only a few hours a day
- Daycare facilities that care for very small groups of children
This does not mean that you cannot take legal action if a St. Louis personal injury lawyer proves negligence. When a child is injured in a licensed daycare facility, the incident should be reported and investigated. We may use this information to help establish liability if your child was injured in a daycare with prior violations.
Our Lawyers Advocate for Our Clients
Schultz & Myers, LLC helps clients recover compensation from insurance settlements or court-awarded offers.
Depending on your individual case, our lawyers may seek awards for:
- Medical care and treatment
- Lifecare costs
- Lost pay if you missed work to care for your child
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
We know that your child is precious to you. Our daycare injury lawyers may fight for compensation and justice on your son or daughter’s behalf. Contact Schultz & Myers, LLC for a free case evaluation by calling 314-444-4444.
How to Choose a Daycare Center
The Administration for Children and Families website contains valuable information for choosing a daycare provider.
They suggest that parents watch for:
- Child to staff ratio
- Number of children cared for at one time
- Training of staff
- Overall impression of the center (cleanliness, nutritional foods served, safety measures)
We also recommend that you talk to other parents. While social media may prove helpful, you typically obtain more accurate and timely information from a parent whose child is already enrolled.
Call a Daycare Injury Lawyer in St. Louis for Help
Our lawyers may help if your child was injured by someone’s reckless act or omission while at a daycare facility. You have a limited time to act, so call our firm as soon as possible for a free case evaluation. Call Schultz & Myers, LLC at 314-444-4444.
Waiting past the statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit may result in you losing your rights to take legal action. The sooner you call, the sooner we may begin working on your case.